Student Moodle FAQs (PDF Version)
In the top left corner of the Lasell College Moodle home page, you will find a Main Menu section which contains a link to the Student User Guide.
Remember these two easy steps:
2. Q: What if I can’t log into Moodle?
A: Moodle uses the same authentication as the does Lasell Network. If you can’t log into Moodle and MyLasell, you need to contact the IT Technology Help Desk about your Lasell account and password.
IT Help Desk Contact Info:
Phone: x2200 or 617-243-2200
3. Q: What can I do when I get a reminder that my password will expire soon?
A: There is only one network authentication system at Lasell, which takes care of email system, myLasell, self-service, and Lasell Moodle.
Every password will be expired in 180 days. Before the expiration, you have to go to our password management system to reset the password. You cannot reset your password from within Moodle.
Your Lasell password was auto-generated by our system and sent to the email address you provided on your application.
4. Q: What if I don’t know how to work within the Moodle environment?
A: The IT Help Desk provides drop-in help services for students:
• When: Monday - Thursday 8am - 9pm, Friday 8:00am - 5pm
• Where: Brennan Library Lower Level 107-E
• Call 617 243-2200 or email email@example.com
5. Q: Where can I access Moodle Help Document?
A: Go to http://moodle.lasell.edu and click the Moodle Student Guide link to find login instructions and user guides offered as videos and text.
7. Q: My course is not showing up on the My Courses page on Moodle. What should I do?
A: Please check the Self-Service account if you have a HOLD on your account. If so, contact the approperiate office to remove the HOLD; otherwise, please contact your instructor to make the course available to students.
8. Q: When I log into Moodle all my past courses are no longer listed, what happened?
A: At the end of each semester, the courses will be archived after four weeks of the Final Week. Students will not have access to previous semester's courses. If you would like to see course contents for past semesters, please contact your instructor of the course.
9. Q: Could I use any web browser to access Moodle?
A: Even though you may access Moodle via any browser, it is recommended that you choose a browser that supports Moodle's integrated HTML editor. This is a WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) editor with an interface similar to you would see in most word processing applications, which can help you to format your text.
This in-line HTML editor will only appear if you use Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Netscape. If you do not use one of these browser types, you can still use Moodle just fine, but without the luxury of a WYSIWYG editor.
13. Q: When I click on the link to view a PDF file, it just hangs and doesn't download the file.
A: You may need to update the version of Adobe Reader on your PC. Especially, if you are using the latest Firefox browser, version 3.0, you will need to the most current version of Adobe Reader. Go to Adobe Reader (http://get.adobe.com/reader/) and download the latest version. Once the install is complete, try clicking on the file link again in Moodle and the document should open immediately.
14. Q: I tried to upload a file, but it didn't work. What went wrong?
A: Uploading a file is generally very simple. If it didn't work, check the name of the file. It shouldn't have any punctuation in it: no commas, apostrophes, etc. Remove all punctuation by renaming the file and then try the upload again.
15. Q: I posted a Word.docx file to Moodle as an assignment but my instructor can’t open it.
A: This is a compatibility issue. Microsoft Office 2007 files have an extra x on the end of the extension, so a Word.doc will look like Word.docx if you are using Word 2007. Your instructor may have older Word versions and, therefore, will not be able to open these files. To fix the issue, you can re-save your document as an older version. For example in Word, go to save as and select save as a "Word 97-2003 Document".doc file.
16. Q: I don’t want every discussion forum posting emailed to my Lasell email account. What can I do to stop it?
A: Every forum postings goes to your email box because your instructor chose “Force everyone to be subscribed” the forum posting. You need to ask your instructor to adjust the forum settings.
Note: students will need the appropriate software and plug-ins to view the media files.
18. Q: I have read through all of the Frequently Asked Questions and cannot find the answer to my question. Where can I get help?
A: The IT Help Desk provides drop-in help service and appointment services for students:
19. Q: I am using Firefox and cannot copy and paste text using the right click button on my mouse. How can I copy and paste text inside of Moodle?
A: To copy and paste text inside of Moodle, place your cursor in front of your text and higlight the text. Then press Ctrl + C on the keyboard to copy the text. Click your cursor in the place you want to paste your text. To paste your text press Ctrl + V.
20. Q: What is the best way to copy content from Microsoft Word to Moodle?
A: No matter where you want to paste- labels, weekly summaries, or resource / activity descriptions, you can use the "Paste from Word" icon in the HTML editor. It will remove all unnessary fomrating code from Microsoft Word. Back to Top